• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

CPPM without CPC?

Michael

I am a billing and office manager for a nonprofit organization that provides fee-based counseling services. In the interest of enhancing my professional development and marketability, I am looking into certification for coding and/or CPPM. While I do have some coding experience (currently with out-patient mental health diagnostic codes), I am not certified and thought that this might be a good designation to have. That being said, my intention is to continue in practice management. Is it advisable to go after the CPPM certification without having achieved the CPC designation first? If I do get the CPC certification, how do I advance past the apprenticeship period if I do not currently hold a coder position? Please advise; I would like to get started on a certification prep program soon. Thanks!

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Welcome to the forum Michael. It sounds like you have a great plan. Here is quick link to the CPC course. What you need to do for the "A" is send a letter to the AAPC about your experience. It does not matter that you are not working in coding at the moment. The AAPC does not want a long drawn out description of your experience. Get a letter from a past employer stating you worked in medical coding while working for them and the dates you were employed.

You can even write the letter for the employer and have them sign in and put it on letter head.

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Since management is your aim then I think the combo of coding and management certification is ideal. Many who are managing already get their CPC not because they will be doing actual heads down coding but to feel they have the details to manage a coding team in addition to other staff. Coding is the key to reimbursement so it makes sense to fully understand it.

Our CPPM course will be released soon https://www.cco.us/certified-physician-practice-manager-cppm-course-exam-preparation/